Pierce County News Release
The Pierce County Auditor’s Office will extend licensing and passport service hours for four days in December.
Here are the dates:
- Thursday, Dec. 6 from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 7 from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 8 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (note: auto licensing isn’t available on Sunday)
“This year, we’ve timed our licensing fair to coincide with the effective date of the marriage equality act,” said Pierce County Auditor Julie Anderson. “We expect 150 couples to apply for a marriage license on December 6. Extending our hours will speed service in our office. ”
Marriage license applicants who want to reserve a spot in line for the morning of Dec. 6 can pick up a reserved queue number on Wednesday, Dec. 5.
“We know that some couples will want to be among the first in Pierce County to apply for a same-sex marriage license,” Anderson said. “To prevent long wait times and to eliminate the need for overnight camping, we’ll allow Dec. 6 marriage applicants to get their queue number in advance.”
Those who want to be among the first applicants on the morning of Dec. 6 should:
1. Visit the Auditor’s Office in person on Wednesday, Dec. 5 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to secure a reservation number.
2. Go to www.piercecountywa.org/
3. Return to the Auditor’s Office with reserved queue number and necessary documents on Thursday, Dec. 6 at 6:20 a.m. (before the 6:30 a.m. opening).
Marriage License Requirements:
• Fill out your application online before you come to our office. Find it atwww.piercecountywa.org/
• Driver’s license, Military ID, or State ID required.
• License fee is $64 in cash, cashier’s check, or money order (checks not accepted).
• Both parties must appear in person together and be at least 18 years old.
• You must wait at least three days to have your ceremony.
• The license is valid for 60 days.
Passports, Pets, and Vehicle Licensing
The Auditor will offer its other licensing and passport services during the extended hours, too. “Regardless of what brings you to the Auditor’s Office during our licensing fair, please come prepared, “Anderson said.
Passport applications require:
• Certified birth certificate or proof of US citizenship (photo copies not accepted).
• Driver’s license, Military ID, or State ID with additional proof of identity.
• Social Security number.
• Passport photos available for $12.
• Passport fees must be paid by check, cashier’s check or money order (cash not accepted).
Vehicle and boat licensing require:
- License plate number or registration.
- Boat registration number.
- Driver’s License or other valid identification.
- Emissions test, if necessary.
- Payment: cash or check only.
- Title transfers require signed title and odometer disclosure statement.
Pet licensing services:
• Purchase or renew pet licenses (unincorporated Pierce County, Carbonado, and South Prairie residents only).
• Proof of spay/neuter required.
The Pierce County Auditor’s Office is located at 2401 South 35th Street, in Tacoma. The office is responsible for elections, licensing services, a variety of public records, and animal control services.
For more information:
Call Passport, Marriage and Pet Licensing at 253-798-7445.
Call Vehicle and Vessel Licensing at 253-798-7547.
Category: Pierce County