By Dawn Masko, City Administrator, City of DuPont
1. Holiday City Hall Closures – City Hall offices are closed on Tuesday, January 1st, 2013 for the New Year’s holiday.
2. Fees & Charges Increases
There are several fees and charges increases which become effective on January 1, 2013.
- Utility Taxes– per Ordinance No. 12-945, the Water Utility Tax rate will increase from 11% to 12% and the Stormwater Utility Tax rate will increase from 8% to 10%.
- Business Licenses - per Ordinance No. 12-943, the business license fee structure is changing from a flat rate of $50 to a rate based on the number of employees. The new rate structure is:
- 0 to 24 Employees
$75.00 per year
- 25 to 99 Employees
$300.00 per year
- 100 or more Employees $500.00 per year
- 0 to 24 Employees
DuPont business licenses will continue to be administered through the Washington Master Business License Program. This change will become effective on a business’s next license renewal date. Businesses will be receiving a letter soon explaining the change.
- Rental Housing Business License – per Ordinance No. 12-944, the City is imposing a new business license requirement on residential rental properties. This will impact the owners of apartments, multiplexes, condominiums, townhomes, and single family homes being rented out. The adopted rate structure is:
- 1 Unit
$75.00 per year
- 2 to 4 Units
$75.00 plus $5.00 per unit per year
- 5 to 24 Units $150.00 plus $5.00 per unit per year
- 25 or more Units
$300.00 plus $5.00 per unit per year
The City will be administering the Rental Housing Business License program and will be sending out a letter to rental property owners with more detail and an application form.
- Square Foot Business & Occupation Tax – per Ordinance No. 12-946, the City is instituting a square footage tax at a rate of $0.05 per square foot per quarter for businesses whose taxable floor area exceeds 20,000 square feet. A credit will be given for gross receipts business & occupation taxes paid to the City. Impacted businesses will be receiving more information from the City in the near future. The City Council will also be revisiting this issue in early 2013 to provide further clarification.
3. Upcoming Meetings – Week of December 31st – January 4th
- There are no meetings scheduled for the week of December 31st.
4. ROA Office Holiday Closure
The ROA Office will be closed for Winter Break thru January 1st, 2013. Please call CDC at (800) 544-4912 with emergency concerns and they will contact the on-call ROA staff for Northwest Landing.
5. Community Development Update
- Sign Code Update –The proposed Sign Code ordinance will be discussed at a Council work session on January 15th . Materials are posted on the City’s website.
- Navy Federal Credit Union – There will be a public hearing held on Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 for the building setback variance and parking stall count variance. Materials are posted on the City’s website.
6. Parks & Recreation
Please call (253) 912-5245 or go to the City’s website at www.ci.dupont.wa.us for registration information, questions on Parks & Recreation activities, or for volunteer opportunities. Want to know more? Like us on Facebook at “City of DuPont Events, Recreation & Tourism”.
- Youth Basketball – The youth basketball program will follow Steilacoom School District’s holiday closure schedule. No games or practices will be scheduled during the holiday break. Current youth basketball schedules can be found at www.teamsideline.com.
- Youth Acting Classes – DuPont Parks & Recreation is pleased to offer Youth Acting classes beginning on February 2nd. The classes, taught by Youth Studio 101, will be held on Saturday’s from 10:00 – 11:00 AM at the Community Center (303 Barksdale Ave.) through April 6th. A showcase will be held on April 11th. Youth Studio 101 offers a small, personalized environment for young students to explore the craft of acting. Learn core concepts and techniques of acting through a wide variety of improv games and exercises, then implement them through in-class scenework and monologues. The cost is $100 and the class is limited to 14 participants (ages 9-14). Try a FREE class on January 12that 10:30 AM. To get additional information, sign-up online or RSVP for the free class visit www.youthactingstudio.
wordpress.com or contact DuPont Parks & Recreation.
- Winter Yoga – This winter’s yoga classes will feature Hatha Vinyasa Flow – an active, flowing style of yoga for all levels. Classes will focus on improving strength, overall cardiovascular health, flexibility and balance coupled with a focus on breathing to decrease stress. Classes are held at the Community Center on Mondays from 9:30 – 10:30 AM (January 14th – February 25th) or Wednesdays from 10:00 – 11:00 AM (January 16th – February 20th). Sign up forms are available online.
- Visit our website for information on other programs and events including Karate, Yoga, Track, Kidz Love Soccer, Dance4Life, and more!
7. 2nd Annual Blanket Drive
The DuPont Fire Department and DuPont Lions Club are hosting the 2nd annual Blanket Drive during the month of January. Please bring your new or gently used blankets to the Fire Station at 1780 Civic Drive anytime during January. This blanket drive will benefit the Tacoma Rescue Mission and their ongoing work serving the homeless of Pierce County. Thank you for your contribution!
8. Happy New Year!!
On behalf of City staff, I would like to wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year! We look forward to the opportunity to serve our community and citizens in the coming year.