By Dawn Masko, City Administrator, City of DuPont
Fire Department Santa Run: Your DuPont Firefighters will be escorting Santa throughout the DuPont community on the evenings of December 12th & 13th from 5:00 to 7:30 PM. Santa will be handing out candy canes to children of all ages and dog treats to our four-legged friends. Santa will be escorted through town on the fire engine, but due to safety considerations, will only be stopping at intersections. Maps and estimated arrival times will be available soon the City’s website. Please remember that Santa is very busy this time of year and the arrival times are merely estimates.
3. Red Ribbon Bazaar
The 15th annual Red Ribbon Bazaar is being held at Steilacoom High School (54 Sentinel Drive) tomorrow, December 1st, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The bazaar features many hand-crafted items, , as well as a bake sale, gift wrapping, photos with Santa, and children’s activities. There will also be a silent auction of tabletop trees and baskets with all proceeds going directly to student clubs and groups. The auction features terrific prizes of a 32” flat screen TV, a Kindle Fire, and a Keurig Coffee Maker. Don’t miss the performances by choirs from Steilacoom High School and Pioneer Middle School beginning at 1:00 PM. Come do some holiday shopping and support our local kids!
4. Upcoming Meetings – Week of December 3rd – 7th
- Youth Council Meeting
Monday, December 3rd at 6:00 PM
- Park Agency Meeting
Monday, December 3rd at 7:00 PM
- Tree Board Meeting
Tuesday, December 4th at 1:00 PM
- City Council Meeting
Tuesday, December 4th at 7:00 PM
5. Museum Gift Shop Offers Unique Holiday Gifts
Looking for unique heritage holiday gifts? Shop at the DuPont Museum gift shop! New items will be featured during the holiday season. Find great gifts under $10 and $20 for teachers, kids stocking stuffers, and those difficult to buy for! The DuPont Museum, located in the Historic Village at 207 Barksdale Ave., is open from 1:00 – 4:00 PM on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Please contact Doris Stewart at (253) 964-2399 for holiday shopping assistance.
6. Important Tips for Winter Weather
It’s that time of year again where the temperatures begin to drop, the winds blow harder, and I don’t even need to mention about the rain! To help prepare for the onslaught of winter weather, below is some helpful contacts and preparedness tips (complements of Northwest Landing ROA):
- To report a City tree down on the road or your property or to report a road that has flooded: Please contact the City of DuPont at (253) 964-8121. After hours and on weekends call Public Works at (253) 912-5389.
- To report a tree down on Association property: Call the ROA office at (253) 964-1289 or emailROA@nwlandingroa.org.
- To receive information during a disaster: Monitor your NOAA weather radio and keep a local radio and/or television on for information and emergency instructions. NOAA weather radios can be purchased locally from electronic stores, as well as through online retailers. Turn on local TV stations 4, 5, 7, 11, or 13.
- To receive information about emergency preparedness: Contact the DuPont Fire Department at (253) 964-8414 or go to www.piercecountywa.org/dem. You can get important information and build your emergency plan. To sign up for Pierce County emergency alerts, click on the Pierce County Alert icon on the City’s website, click on the icon in this newsletter or call (253) 798-6595.
- How to prepare your property for cold or freezing weather:
- Turn off and blow out your irrigation system so that the pipes do not freeze.
- Call an HVAC professional to inspect your furnace and clean ducts so that they work at full efficiency.
- Run interior pipes at a trickle to ensure that the pipes do not burst. Also know where your main water shut off valve is, in case a pipe bursts.
- Locate the main electric fuse box and gas main so that you can turn on or off when needed.
- Replace worn roof shingles or tiles on your house.
- Clean out the gutters and use a hose to spray water down the downspouts to clear away debris.
- Salt your driveway and sidewalks to stop them from icing over.
7. Community Development Update
- Sign Code Update –The first reading of the proposed sign code ordinance was held at the November 27th City Council meeting. This will be a topic of a Council work session in January before adoption of the ordinance. The staff report and draft sign code are posted on the City’s website.
- DuPont Corporate Park –The property owner has reactivated the 2009 grading permit and the 91 acres site is now under construction. This development was approved in 2008 for 1.6 million square foot warehouse, new intersection and traffic signal at Center Drive and Bronson Avenue, parking, storm drainage and landscaping.
Sequalitchew Creek Restoration Plan –The third Core Group Meeting for the Sequalitchew Creek planning process is scheduled for Thursday, December 13th from 1:00 – 4:00 PM at DuPont City Hall. The group will discuss the lower reaches of the watershed.
8. Parks & Recreation
Please call (253) 912-5245 or go to the City’s website at www.ci.dupont.wa.us for registration information, questions on Parks & Recreation activities, or for volunteer opportunities. Want to know more? Like us on Facebook at “City of DuPont Events, Recreation & Tourism”.
- Holiday Window Painting – Many thanks to our students and parents from Pioneer Middle School and Saltar’s Point who helped adorn the windows along Wilmington Drive for the Holiday Tree Lighting. Kids were out early on Wednesday to make this happen. Thank you to the local businesses who offered their windows for the event. They look great! Be sure to drive by and take a look. Better yet, stop in our local businesses to say hello!
- Get Sweet on Parks & Rec – Parks & Recreation is holding a “Get Sweet on Parks & Rec” Caramel Apple sale through December 5th. Holiday caramel apples are available for pre-sale for $5.00 each. Apples will be delivered the week of December 17th. The apples are beautifully wrapped and ready for gift giving. All proceeds benefit events and recreation programs. Thanks in advance for supporting Parks & Recreation!
- 5th Annual Santa Breakfast – Mom & Dad – don’t forget to pick up your Santa Breakfast tickets from City Hall. This year’s breakfast is scheduled for Saturday, December 8th at 9:00 AM. Many thanks to our friends from McNamara’s who are featured in the Christmas buffet. This was a sold out event last week so don’t delay another day! Tickets are $10 each; 2 and under are free. Tickets include breakfast with Santa and a special take-home goodie from Santa’s elves. Don’t forget to bring your cameras to take photos!
- Youth Basketball – Basketball schedules will be posted on www.teamsideline.com on Monday, December 3rd. Parents are required to register on the site in order to see the practice and game schedules. Please make it a habit to check the website at least once a week for changes or cancellations.
Many thanks to the volunteers who helped assess the players this week. It was a busy week and we appreciate the hard work from the players and coaches.
- Visit our website for information on other programs and events including Karate, Yoga, Track, Kidz Love Soccer, Dance4Life, and more!
9. Gingerbread House Building
Join the young and young-at-heart at 7:00 PM on Friday, December 14th at Chloe Clark Elementary for “Home Sweet Home” Gingerbread House Building. Ticket for the pre-assembled houses must be purchased in advance for $5 each and are limited to two houses per family. Tickets are available at the ROA office located at 1495 Wilmington Drive, Suite 110. All of the fixin’s to build your dream home will be provided at the event. Snacks and drinks will be served. Only a limited number of houses are being sold, so don’t delay! Call 964-1289 for more information.
10. Christmas Tree Sales
The Boy Scouts of America Troop 71 (DuPont/Steilacoom) have opened their Christmas Tree lot located at 1631 Lafayette Street in Steilacoom (next to the Barber Shop). Hours of operation are Monday – Friday 4:00 – 7:00 PM, Saturday 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM, and Sunday 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM. This annual fundraiser runs until all the trees are sold out around December 19th. Trees are 4’ thru 8’ Douglas Fir, Grand Fir, Noble Fir, Nordman Fir, and Evergreen wreaths starting at $22. All proceeds support the Scouting program. Delivery’s can be made to DuPont and Steilacoom upon request. Come on by, pick out your tree, and support local Scout adventures this year!
11. Chat with School District Superintendent
Steilacoom School District Superintendent Bill Fritz will host a community conversation on Monday, December 10th. This informal discussion session, covering a wide range of participant-generated topics, will take place in the Steilacoom High School Library starting at 6:30 PM and ending at 7:30 PM. Any student, parent, or citizen who wants to discuss district issues or learn more about our schools is invited to attend. Steilacoom High School is located at 54 Sentinel Drive in Steilacoom.
Superintendent Fritz initiated these community forums last school year as a way to connect with both the school community and taxpayers at large. Another forum will be held in February at Chloe Clark Elementary School in DuPont. For questions or additional information, please call (253) 983-2200.
12. Pet Neutering Specials
The Coalition: HUMAnE Spay/Neuter Clinic in conjunction with the Humane Society is offering two reduced fee opportunities:
- Feral/Free Roaming Cats – For a limited time all feral and free roaming cats will receive the “Project Catnip” package for only $10. The package includes spay or neuter, rabies vaccine, tattoo, ear tip and ear mite treatment. There are no exceptions on the ear tip. Cats must be in a humane live trap.
- Deck the Balls – This reduced fee neuter special runs through December 20th for male cats, rabbits and dogs only. Neutering prices are $10 for cats, $25 for rabbits and dogs. This program is for those who can’t afford these services at regular rates and is open to residents of Pierce County and Federal Way only. You must mention “Deck the Balls” when making an appointment to receive this pricing.